Throughout his career as a legal administrator, John Kirk has been an active participant in the community of administrators. He is a Certified Legal Manager, having been one of the first in the nation to receive this designation. John served as president of the Philadelphia Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators (ALA), the recognized leader in law practice management. He is a past chair of the ALA’s Certification and Business Partner Relations Committees.
John is also a fellow in the College of Law Practice Management, which honors and recognizes distinguished law practice management professionals and sets standards of achievement for those in the profession.
John has been active with the ALA in many capacities, including serving as a member of its Board of Directors and as chair of the Annual Education Conference. John was the recipient of the Spirit of the ALA Award, one of only 14 people who have ever received this award. It is the highest honor bestowed by the association, and is presented to those “whose commitment to professionalism, dedication to the advancement of law firm administration and record of long-term service to the Association of Legal Administrators sets the standard for all who aspire to achievement, excellence and success.”
John also received, twice, its Outstanding Association Volunteer award.
John has a strong professional and personal interest in issues surrounding sustainability. He has lectured and written on issues of sustainability and green office practices for The Legal Intelligencer and ALA publications, and ALA education programs, as well as for local business and bar associations.
Professional and Community Activities
- Association of Legal Administrators
- Chair, Business Partner Relations Committee (2010-2012)
- Chair, Certification Committee (2001-2003)
- Board of Directors (1994-1996)
- Chair, Annual Education Conference (1994)
- Past President, Philadelphia Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators
- Fellow, College of Law Practice Management
- Member, American Bar Association, Section of Law Practice Management
- Member, Law Firm Sustainability Network
- “Spirit of the ALA Award" (2011)
- Presented to those whose commitment to professionalism, dedication to the advancement of law firm administration and record of long-term service to the Association of Legal Administrators sets the standard for all who aspire to achievement, excellence and success.
- College of the Holy Cross, B.A. (Sociology)